Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Tribute To Hazel Anderson (Nunny as we called her)

Robbie's Grandmother (Nunny) died this past Friday (Dec 29, 2006). She was 97, but most importantly, she was a believer in Christ. She died in her sleep.

On Thursday, the day before her death, I had the privilege of spending the day with her in her hospital room. It was just the two of us most of the day. We prayed, sang, held hands and we even watched some Star Trek DVDs together. Around 3pm that last day, she began to groan in pain. I began talking and praying with her. She opened her eyes and looked straight at me for more than 20 minutes. I have no idea if she knew who I was. I was trying to comfort her and also talk with her one more time. I had her drinking water from a spoon, trying to moisten her very dry mouth. She continued to moan and I knew she needed something to take away the pain, but I also knew the meds would put her to sleep. I asked nurse Linda to give her a dose of morphine. Within 30 minutes, she was back to sleep. It was the last time I got to see her eyes; to talk one on one with her. I thank God for that precious 20 minutes. You see, I may not have been her grandson by blood, but to me, she was just as much my Grandmother as anyone elses.

She spent many holidays with me, even spending the night at my house last Christmas. I got to hear many of her recertations (stories) and most of all, I got to see her love for Christ!

Nunny, thank you for allowing me the privilege of knowing you for 13 years. I will miss your humor, your recertations, your political prowess and your faithful to our God. You were a blessing to me and my family and I praise God that I will get to see you again! I love you!

Russ

1 comment:

The Nelson Family said...

I'm so glad that you were there with her on her last day to comfort her and love on her. Thank you for taking good care of Nunny for us. We will definitely miss her.