Sunday, January 21, 2007

Surgery To Make The Pain Go Away!

Since leaving my IT job and taking on my new career as a personal chef, my hands have turned against me. I have very bad carpal tunnel in both hands. I went to my doctor; he sent me to physical therapy. After 2 weeks of PT, my hands got a little better, but not enough to get rid of the 24/7 numbness. Then I was sent off for nerve testing. Ok, if you have never had a nerve test conducted, you have missed out! It was like the neurologist was taking a live electrical cord and sticking it to my arm. I was lying on the table wondering how in the world they could learn anything from electrocuting my arms! It was very painful, yet very enlightening. The tests proved that I have carpal tunnel of a 70 year old farmer. I was like, "WHAT?" But I am a 39 year old chef....how can it be that bad. The Doctor said she had not seen it this bad in years. I asked for a prize...I mean, I should get something for this!

In short, I have surgery in a week on my right hand and then 2 weeks later on the left. I will be unable to use each hand for 3 weeks. Yes, a chef with no hands....should be very interesting!

Russ

2 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

Your poor median nerves! We'll be praying for you! Does this mean Robbie is going to have to do all the cooking??? Get prepared for cheesecake...I think that's all she makes these days! haha

Holloway Family said...

Hope that you are feeling better.